AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Cherokee Owners post your PIC!!
View Single Post
Old 18-12-2021

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default 2000 XJ Cherokee - my new ride!

Steering box spacer plates, 5mm (will drill 3rd hole, trim plates and weld spacers on once old spacer is off for reference) new 7/16 unc x 4.5" grade 8 bolts

ZJ V8 solid tie rod

Some parts to be fitted

Back into an XJ after living abroad for 4 years!

Bought this two weeks ago for 4200. Body and interior is in excellent shape and has 200k on it. Extremely pleased i was able to snap this lovely girl up. Plan to build it as a competent offroader, comfortable camper and reasonably economical daily driver with 30" tyres, 2.5 lift and a front auto locker. May regear it to 4.10 and replace D35 with a Ford 8.8

Mods and repair items planned;

- cooling system overhaul with new hoses and heater hoses, water pump, thermostat, rad cap, thermostat housing etc. Will flush cooling circuit and inspect/ pressure test radiator. May get a copper radiator.

- all new oils and filters including trans filter. Will fit external trans filter to cooler line.

- all new suspension bushes, steering joints, ball joints, sway bar bushes etc. All new mounting bolts in the undercarriage. Will drive like new once done!

- 2.5" lift from new EFS leaves (old leaves are inverted... well and truly U/S). New Lovells coils

- front auto locker (4wd systems Lokka). I had planned to get a Powertrax No-Slip but I got the Lokka for 300 new in box from Gumtree. Have new carrier bearings, cross pin and have made setup bearings to reset backlash. These auto lockers need the backlash to be in-spec or they do weird things... as i discovered in my last XJ.

- new Delphi fuel pump assembly. Will extend tank breather with copper pipe to increase capacity to ~90 litres. Plan to reinforce and extend steel skid plate to further protect the plastic tank in a rear-end accident. The rear wheel carrier further protects the tank.

- 255/70R16 (30" x 10") AT tyres.

- Heavy duty tie rod from a RHD ZJ V8 Grand. Solid steel with larger tie rod ends.

- larger trans cooler in series with oem cooler in front of radiator. Fit fan to cooler for slow offroad work. Will bypass the in-radiator cooler. Will fit trans temp gauge in cooler line to watch temps.

- adjustable panhard rod/track bar. Will drill out lower mount bolt to fit M12 bolts.

-heavy duty Rough Country lower control arms with bend to allow more flex.

- extended brake lines (OEM quality Raybestos rubber lines)

- steel steering box spacer I made at work. 5mm plate, 1" OD spacers and outer frame plate. Longer grade 8 bolts to suit will be thread-locked and torqued to spec. Will inspect chassis rail for cracks and fatigue while it's off. No twisting/flexing of rail currently present when I checked it with helper cycling the steering.

- assorted standard camping paraphernalia - awning, cargo barrier, rear drawers, work lights, second battery (acquired two good used Optima Yellowtops from work)

And other thangsss no doubt!

99 XJ (sold)
96 XJ (sold)
Currently XJ-less until i return to live in Aus

Last edited by mattdrinan; 18-12-2021 at 08:30 PM.