AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Engine swap... JK Wrangler
View Single Post
Old 20-12-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts
Default Engine swap... JK Wrangler

I have wanted to give the JK to the grandson for his 21st b'day but the missus won't let me. And he doesn't want it cos its a manual. What's wrong with todays youth? My son also doesn't want it. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth and walking away.

So here is the thing. The JK has now done about 235000km and I know some that have 300000km or more. Overall the JK is in very good shape. I have bought an Amarok but it will not be likely to go where I would want the JK to go in the future. I still have some JK trips left in me before I die.

So I have decided to keep it... its a no brainer cos it costs me nothing and I like it! everything is in good shape and I have well maintained it as you have to if u don't want 2 B stranded in a desert somewhere.

There is nothing wrong with the current 3.8L motor. For what I do it has been really reliable. A guzzler yes, but so far reliable. I am thinking that at some stage I will need to do an engine swap.

A V8 would be really nice but would probably blow the budget and also, probably need to replace a lot more other running gear as well. So am thinking that for me, just a new 3.8l or remanufacture the one I have may be the cheapest and easiest and less problem creating alternatives. Oh boy I would like a V8 but let's be realistic.

And then the issue is who to get to do the work here (Melbourne) and who can b depended on to do the job right.

Your advice would b much appreciated.