AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 5.7 hemi tick
Thread: 5.7 hemi tick
View Single Post
Old 24-12-2021
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default 5.7 hemi tick

I have a 2010 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Eagle Head, now on 110500km. Bought the vehicle a year ago with only 95500km on the clock and all agent services on time. At the time I had a 2008 GC 5.7 and sold it with 198000km on it. From the start the 2008 motor ran quieter than the newer 2010 one.

Removed the cats on the 2010, as I did on the 2008 and soon exhaust manifold bolts broke both sides. This resulted in clear "tick" sounds, but it could be heard that the manifold was leaking. Fortunately in South Africa where I am, the smog rules dont apply.
Now sorted, but a "tick" remained, for at least the last 4000km. No misfire or bad idle, but very clear even when hot. Always used synthetic oil of correct weight. Was told by few knowledgeable chaps that the tick most likely is not a lifter/cam issue, but I am concerned.

Searching the different forums, I am under the impression that the Ram trucks have the most lifter failures compared to the Jeep and Charger/Challenger vehicles. This includes Rams without the MDS. I have not heard or read about the older pre 2009 5.7 hemi having lifter/cam failures.
Also it seems the 6.4 hemi develops lifter failures, much more than the older 6.1.

There are a number of possible caused for this failure, but to me it is clear that the Eagle Head on our 5.7 hemi and the Apache Head on the 6.4 hemi is flawed with a high probability of lifter/cam failure. Being in South Africa, access to spares is very problematic and expensive, else I would tear down the engine and do a detail investigation and repair, since I want to keep my Jeep.

2010 GC 5.7 hemi, OME lift