AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - How to fix Power steering Jeep JK
View Single Post
Old 19-01-2022

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

thank you for OP for the instruction. I build on these instructions and DIY power steering box shaft seal replacement.

Purchased Gate power steering repair kit 350650. It was $10.76 + shipping from rock auto. This can possibly be sourced from Repco.

After step 7, this is DIY steps
  1. make sure jeep wheels are dead straight. This helps to remove the steering shaft. Remove the airbox to access to top of the power steering box.
  2. Remove the 4 bolts on top of the power steering box. make sure you mark them so they can go back in the same order.
  3. Slowly tap out the steering shaft from the bottom. the PS fluid will flow out so put an oil pan underneath.
  4. Now clean shaft .
  5. Replace the seals. Use the snap ring plier to remove the snap ring. Seals are easy to remove using a screwdriver.
  6. Used a 32 mm socket to tap in the new seals.
  7. Before you put the shaft back on apply some grease to the shaft and the newly installed seals. This way nothing gets caught and damaged when you reinstall the shaft.
  8. Reinstall shaft. Refill power steering and enjoy no leaks.

The job took me 2-3 hours job with many families + dog disruptions. Took me 3-4 weeks of research to find the correct power steering seal kit: Gate power steering repair kit 350650.

Total cost: pitman arm puller kits (56)+ snap ring plier (12) + Power steering seal (10.76)+ 2-3 man-hours + 1L of PS fuild.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	79587  

Last edited by jkjeep1; 19-01-2022 at 09:43 AM.