AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Think my engine is done for
View Single Post
Old 26-01-2022
RustysRocker

Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

My TJ broke the #1 piston skirt at 192K miles (307k KM). Mine broke and went from a small tap to a very loud knock as I started it to go home from work one day. Listening with a stethoscope the knocking was loud as hell on the #1 exhaust outlet.

I was lucky to be able do it all at work, and within two weeks. I got lucky with the weather and was able to work outside on the vehicle for an hour or two before work each day, and get it pushed into the workshop on the second weekend, so I could rebuild it indoors next to my toolbox.

I sourced parts from rockauto and bought the few tools I needed but didn't have locally/ebay. That was a hyd lifter puller, piston ring pliers, piston ring compressor, cylinder hone and a valve lapping tool. I was able to borrow a valve spring compressor.

All in - with 6 new pistons, cam, lifters, rods and rockers, gaskets, tools and fluids, It cost me around £850 (AU$1600).