AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ 2.5 TD VM engine
View Single Post
Old 15-05-2022
Senior Newbie

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Hi all.**
i am having a tough time starting my 425ohv 1999 NZ XJ sport turbo Diesel.
I recently resealed the 2x fuel injection pump seals. I marked the both plates to ensure all timing was back to what it was.** I primed the low pressure side of the system doing the following steps.
key on, air gun and rag on fuel tank filler to prime the line until diesel came out the plastic bleed screw on fuel filter head. Plunged and primed for a long time to finally get pressure. Bled all air out by cracking the fuel feed banjo on injection pump. Cranked for ages while the over flow valve was cracked. Attemped to bleed injectors 1 by 1 by cracking the lines. Tried ether while the mrs cranked the key for me. Ran for a little bit but then died. When i try to start it will cough after about 15 seconds of cranking but will not fire up.**
The issue is not getting pressure to injector lines. There has to be an air lock somewhere.**
also cracked off the injector pipes at fuel pump side then at injectors again. No luck.
Today i have been trying to tow start it (recommend being in 4x4 for this) 1st get going 20kmh to get the rpm above 3000 hoping to build some pressure. No luck. So we tried cracking the overflow valve and go for another tow. No luck. Then tried cracking injectors to purge the air out, then tightened all fuel lines up and went for another tow start (glowing the glow plugs too) no luck. Tried repriming the fuel filter but plunger was already hard.**
I am running out of ideas. I have asked a lot of friends who are mechanics. The only thing i havent tried yet is hooking up a small electric fuel lift pump to the low pressure side of the fuel system.**
all injectors are getting small drops of fuel to them but not enough to squirt when i crack the line. I am certain that air locked lines are the issue.**
anyone have an other ideas?
Cheers
Tom - disgruntled old jeep owner.**

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk