AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Chrysler Hemi 5.7 6.4 class action re lifter failure.
View Single Post
Old 29-05-2022
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

I've researched this extensively and my conclusion is that like crd's it's emissions compliance that has created this flaw in eagle head engines.

The previous gen III hemi never had this issue this is proof that the engines inherent design is not flawed as many will try to convince you. IMO it's not the cylinder head either. When it comes to pushrod, rocker lay out and valve placing ect. All the things the lifters and cam care about are carried over from the previous engine, so no changes there.

My conclusion is that this issue is purely a lubrication issue caused nearly entirely by 3 factors.

Number 1 being that manufacturers are constantly trying to reduce oil pump volumes because pumping oil is considered a paracidic loss. When your focus is emissions paracidic loss is your enemy. In this case it wasn't a case of reducing oil pump volume. It was a case of not increasing it enough to accommodate other new emissions equipment, being the vvt, mds and crazy oil recommendations.

Number 2 is the way the mds shuts down cylinders is by collapsing some lifters, it does this by sending oil pressure to the body of the lifter. But when you idle mds is not active so oil to the body of the lifter is reduced to keep it engaged. Couple that with the recommended stupidity thin oil that is by this time hot and even thinner even an adequate oil pump would struggle to keep sufficient oil supplied to the restricted lifter bodies. Oil especially thin oil is like water it'll take the easiest path and that will be through bearing clearances ect.

Number 3 is the rediculous oil recommendation for this engine. No engine you care about should be running anything less than a 30w oil imo. If you're towing or driving spiritedly 40w and the final nail for the oil recommendation is that it's an enviro spec oil meaning no zinc or any other elements that maybe able to assist the lifters in a low lubrication situation.

2 more contributing factors are that these engines run so smooth the std idle is only 500rpm which means the oil pump is turning slower at idle than a lot of other engines and the running temp on these engines is so high for emissions reasons thining out an already crazy thin oil.

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jeepsgofaster; 29-05-2022 at 08:17 AM.