AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WJ D44A varilock right rear wheel bearing replaced three times, still has play
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The shim or shims go behind the outer race or "cup" of the bearing ,to pack the bearing out to increase preload,(or make the bearing thicker). If you end up with a bit of preload then the cup part of the bearing will not tend to turn or spin and you will have no noticeable play when you wrench on the wheel.
So if you still have an old bearing "cup" you can measure the size and make them using pair of "dividers" to scribe the 2 circles. They are small and fiddly to make, but the inner or smaller circle is not that critical, just hangs over inside the axle tube.
I would not use locktight or center punch the axle tube.
The guts of the problem is the "Axle shaft retainer" (the thing with the 4 studs and nuts) is not tight enough due to wear etc, but easiest way to fix is with shim.
I dont worry to much with the tension wrench on the retainer nuts, just do them up tight with a ring spanner, the jeep bolts and nuts are good stuff much stronger than jap bolts.
Hope that clears it all up.
Just jack each wheel up one at a time to work out the approx shim thickness before you pull it all to bits.
On the bad wheel on my old jeep it needed about 0.7mm of shim.(or maybe 0.9mm,just cant remember)

Last edited by 5oclock; 06-06-2022 at 12:30 PM.