AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - under body bash plates
View Single Post
Old 24-08-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,970 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
Big problem with the filter plates is they use the filter housing mounting point to bolt onto, the housing is alloy, plate needs removing to do filters and the threads can get dicey after awhile,

Yes i had noted that...but I figure it is a whole lot better than nothing given how the hex nuts on the filters are quite exposed. There is already a "skid" at the front of the filter housing to deflect a little as well.

The bolts are fairly short so aren't much to remove...though I have a rattle gun in the car which makes removal pretty quick anyway...as well as filter replacement being every 10,000 kms for me it won't be a job too often.

Filters are due for a change in a couple of days so I'll keep one of the hex nuts as you suggest Drover...
Mine get done every 10K so thats around every 3 months usually, you don't want a rattle gun anywhere near those bolts, just a short spanner, they strip very easily..... I did have an idea to use a stud with nut to hold the housing in place and the other end of the stud would hold the bash plate, this would allow removal of the plate without testing the alloy threads on the housing, so far my best idea................. believe me very easy to stuff the threads.... I can just imagine the apprentice doing them up..

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.