AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Charging 2nd battery from caravan ?
View Single Post
Old 18-09-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,976 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Reading these posts and having 'u-tubed' many many many clips on solar upgrades...then being told by the installer that my van wiring 'wouldnt handle' the 500w of solar panels I'd bought for installation lets my know just how dumb I am...wish I was just a tiny bit as savvy as some on here....poo
If you fitted 500w of solar connected to a solar reg and batteries, the van wiring isn't used at all, the van wiring doesn't come into play until you connect it to the batteries where it just draws what is needed to power lights, TV etc it isn't subjected to any more load than normal, if you wanted to add an invertor it wouldn't be hooked up to the van wiring either.... and while 500w sounds a lot it really isn't in power being at most only supplying somewhere between 25 to 29 watts but in reality more like 15watts at most... The Setek units in a van of that age don't handle solar at all so have nothing to do with it at all...... my rig is set up for off grid and the 240v charger may get used every few years, so its all solar basically even when on powered sites like now it isn't switched on, my rig is 11 years old....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 18-09-2022 at 10:15 AM.