AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ crossing the Simpson Desert in 2022?
View Single Post
Old 14-10-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

I haven't done a Simpson crossing, but I have gone as far as Witjira NP. The track out to Dalhousie Springs was smooth and very comfortable after a rain event when I was last there. If you approach Mount Dare from Kulgera, the terrain is generally soft sand which makes for a smooth run.

In either an XJ or a JK, I wouldn't cross the Simmo alone because I would need to carry everything but the kitchen sink. I maxxed out my XJ weight on the last big lap I did (single vehicle, taking everything to sustain me and 2 pax for 5 days in the middle of nowhere, including recovery gear) and that was on level ground (corrugated and rocky tracks), not over dunes.

Whichever car you take, you would need a lot of fuel and places to mount Jerry cans. To travel as light as possible, it would be ideal to share the weight across a small convoy of vehicles.

I often wonder if I am pushing my luck, taking a 27 yo XJ into remote places across bomb roads. The engine bay of the 4.0L I6 XJ is easy to work with in order to spot emerging problems or make running repairs. It can be forgiving. I can't speak for a diesel engined car because I am unfamiliar with it.

Wherever you go, you have to look after your vehicle so it can get you out. In my view the focus should be on self-preservation because anything more could be very expensive and inconvenient. Some of the Youtube videos posted show cowboys, pushing their Land cruisers and Hiluxes to the limit, travelling too fast, and suffering break downs. Anyone travelling alone needs to keep tyre pressures and speed right down, even to a crawl, if needed.

I would also suggest you have a look at a video link I posted in the Insurance thread (Blokes Advice) at the top of the Forum. If anyone breaks down in a remote location like the Simmo, what are their options and are they covered?

Of course, the must-have items to take with you are a satellite phone and an air compressor and all the things Humdingerslammer said.

Good Luck.

Last edited by eksjay; 14-10-2022 at 09:24 PM.