AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - How tuff are Aussie blokes?
View Single Post
Old 25-11-2022
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

There's the "50/50/90 Law": If there's a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong, you'll get it wrong 90% of the time.
DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN...?
It took five minutes for the TV warm up
Nearly everyone's Mum was at home when the kids got home from school
Nobody owned a purebred dog
You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a cent
Your Mum wore stockings that came in two pieces
All your male teachers wore ties
You got your windscreen cleaned, oil checked, and petrol pumped, without asking, all for free, every time.
Cereals had free toys hidden inside the box
It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents
They threatened to keep kids back a year if they failed. . .and they did
When a Holden was everyone's dream car
No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition.
Lying on your back in the grass with your friends and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a " and playing footy with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game.
When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home
Basically, we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!
But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.
Do you remember Nancy Drew, Laurel and Hardy, The Famous Five, Secret Seven, Biggles, the Lone Ranger, Phantom, Roy and Dale and Trigger. As well as summers filled with bike rides, cricket games, Hula Hoops, monkey bars, visits to the beach and "conversation" lollies.
Lolly cigarettes, pogo sticks, marbles, Home milk delivery in glass bottles with aluminium tops, Newsreels before the movie, Sandshoes, 45 RPM records, Hi-Fi's, Metal ice cubes trays with levers, Carbon paper, Cork pop guns, Drive-ins, Valiants, Washtub wringers, Reel-To-Reel tape recorders, houses made of cards, Meccano Sets, that awful pink slab of bubble gum, Penny lollies.
Do you remember a time when...
Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"? "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest? It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends" The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "boy or girl germs"
Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a sling shot
Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures. Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
Putting playing cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!
Take a break from your "grown-up" life. I double-dare-ya!
Doctor groaners from Rhonda
Another time, a man came running in the office and yelled, "Doctor, doctor! - my son just swallowed a roll of film!" The doctor calmly replied, "Well let's just wait and see what develops."
I remember one time I told my doctor I had a ringing in my ears. His advice: "Don't answer it."
My doctor sure has his share of nut cases. One said to him, "Doctor, I think I'm a bell." The doctor gave him some pills and said, "Here, take these. If they don't work, give me a ring."
Another guy told the doctor that he thought he was a deck of cards. The doctor simply said, "Go sit over there. I'll deal with you later."
When I told my doctor I broke my leg in two places, he told me to stop going to those places.
You know, doctors can be so frustrating. You wait a month and a half for an appointment, Then he says, "I wish you had come to me sooner."
“I was at the doctor’s yesterday, for my annual check-up. As I was about to leave I mentioned the discomfort I’d recently been experiencing in my joints. He said that drinking water would help. I said that the joints I frequent don’t serve water