AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Grand Willys Project
View Single Post
Old 30-11-2022
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

Time to add the ends for the hard tonneau cover.

Test fit showed it should work out well enough.

Turned the cover upside down so I could jack the cover to the right width. The cover sagged after the end was cut away and lost all its support.

I marked the exact centre of both pieces and made sure those lines matched before tack welding. One tack at a time and then stretching it to keep things in alignment before the next tack, otherwise it will overlap itself with the shrinkage.

Can see how much support the end gives!

I had the cover upside and was planishing away and did not notice this side was moving. It fell off the trestle straight down on to the support legs!

This gives you an idea of how I have to work inside the cover behind where the dent is using one of my spoons.

I did it like paintless dent removal where you massage the back of the dent and lightly tap around the edge of it from the outside. Came out pretty well considering how sharp the crease was.

Also going around using my large profile gauge to make sure it is identical left to right and end to end etc. If you spin it 180* and you have a gap under it like shown, it needs to be altered. Stretching up the left side made it the same in this case.

I made up this adjustable stake stand using the bottom of a scaffolding tower leg. This will help my back in the hard to reach places.

Nearly all my homemade stakes will fit into it including the die that matches the ribs etc.

The adjustment is great as the cover has different heights due to the crown as you move left to right, front to rear etc. Just wind it up or down to suit.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club