AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Power Steering Replacement Pump/Reservoir Kit
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

When running larger tires there is a lot of stress on the sector shaft. My steering box always blows the seal if I turn the steering full lock when stationary. Also, blow the seal during a hard turn while accelerating. After replacing the seals 3 times and getting covered with power steering fluid I decided to get a used steering box. I could see the sector shaft and drag link bend like noodles under the jeep.

So I fixed it by
(1) Replacing the box with 60,000km box from a 2016 JK ($850)
(2) Sector shaft brace
(3) HD drag link
(4) HD tie rod
(5) Added a power steering inline filter ( it appears the stock system pump failures are due to metal particles)

After spending a lot of time and money, my problems are gone now. I am running 10.5 wide 35s (Kenda) and the jeep turns awesome. no more bending noodles and dripping PS fluid from the sector shaft.

I think there is a very limited choice for RHD hydro assist. One needs to buy a brand new RHD box and then send it to the hydro assist company to get it tapped for hydro assist.

One thing that should be investigated is if JL steering box would fit JK?

Last edited by jkjeep1; 09-12-2022 at 07:49 AM.