AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Steering rattle
Thread: Steering rattle
View Single Post
Old 17-01-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 147 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_za View Post
I would start with the easy to check ball joints, adjuster sleeves and tie rod bolts, especially if you can feel or hear it only when you're turning and doubly especially when you're not moving and turning the wheel.

If you can feel it even when going straight and especially if it's rhythmic and it's tempo changes with speed, then I would start with the wheels, bearings, axles, etc. and work my way back to the steering.

A really easy way to see what everything is doing is to take an action cam with a sticky mount and stick a rare earth magnet from Bunnings or Jaycar to it, then stick it on the bumper or frame pointing at the suspension. Just as much as seeing what's happening, hearing noises in the video that I couldn't from inside the cab has helped me narrow down the culprit in the past.

It may be a stupid question but is the steering wheel on tight? If you pull back on it, is there any give?
I like the magnet idea and will certainly give that a crack if the pre purchase inspection dude can't identify it.

The rattle only happens when the vehicle is in motion and didn't feel rhythmic, it happenedwhiledriving straight, it was smooth as silk when turning, my first thought was that the steering wheel was loose (that's exactly what it feels like), but it was rock solid,

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk