AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Tj jeep stalling aproxx 10 sec after start please help
View Single Post
Old 21-04-2023
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,591 Times in 4,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
below is my 2016 Land Cruiser immobilizer key and fob. no battery in the key, just a chip. but a battery is in the fob which is designed to be taken apart for battery replacement as per details in owners hand book. the fob is a bulky thing and I just drive around without it as it makes no difference to starting the engine. I use the key the old fashioned way for opening the door locks.
immobilizer key, just a chip and with no door unlocking fob with a batterdoor locks are manual. try prising this open looking for a non existent battery will stuff the chip and lead to a world of woe

many other vehicle brands, and it would seem other Jeep models, have the immobilizer key and fob combined in the one unit, because they have powered door locks, which does require occasional battery replacement
Yes, there are many keys fitted with such a chip. Its not actually a chip. Its a RF tuned device that the receiver sends a signal to & can detect its presence. Because its passive, it doesnt need a power supply.
There are many applications for this technology, including livestock identification tags & the security tags on some goods in shops.
Again, I may be wrong, but didnt the OP say fob?
Fobs, like the one on the right in your pic have batteries. When you push the button they send a signal. My XJ's have both fobs & keys similar to your pics & KJ's have a combined key & fob, that has both the passive device & the active device requiring a battery. Such technology is normally covered in a 3rd year subject of an engineering degree, assuming you are a professional engineer & not a tradesman.