AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Grand Willys Project
View Single Post
Old 31-05-2023
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

I wanted to make a pressing die that would recess the head of a Nutsert/Rivnut so it would be flush. I turned up in stainless a male die that the raised step was the diametre and thickness of the head of the nutsert. The female side I made the step in the thickness of the head and the head diameter plus 2.5 times the thickness of the metal that would be pressed.

First slide on the male die and then insert into whatever you are going to install the nutsert into. I first drill the hole to suit the mandrel size so it stays centred which will be the same as the bolt diametre that will thread into the nutsert. I have threaded the female die the same as the mandrel.

Just use the setting tool as normal to squeeze the male die up to the material. Took less pressure to press the recess than setting a nutsert.

Now have a nice recess to sit the nutsert into.

The nutsert head sits perfectly flush now, so whatever you bolt up against it, wont sit out the thickness of the head.

The reason for making the dies is so I can have a way of securing the new chest to the head board of the bed.

Nutsert pressed into place.

Simple bracket folded up and spot welded to the top of the chest. Then bolted to the new nutserts.

Now the chest can't move so the lid always clears and no rattling either. I also lined the inside of the chest to protect the walls from anything moving and to damped any sound.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club