AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - How long will a WK2 diesel V6 3.0L motor last?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 368 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
Very difficult question to answer. So many unknown and uncontrollable factors. Based on recent first hand experience with a failed oil cooler and subsequent failed cooling hose (and a perfect maintenance log book with 95K on the clock) - I would suggest if you intend on keeping for the long term in addition to basic maintenance the main thing to be on top of is any 'undetected' leaks. E.g. slow coolant leak or slow oil cooler leak/failure. Overheating as a result of a coolant leak leading to engine damage / failure has been reported quite a bit of late. Pretty basic but in the interest of prevention I'd be putting a fortnightly reminder in your phone to check oil and coolant level + appearance if not already. Investigate any significant changes in coolant level or appearance asap.
That is all very good advice!!
I would hazard a guess that a fair amount of these engines that have died , have died from over heating .
Some of that could have been prevented if some people lifted the bonnet and had a look at the cars fluids every week or so!!