AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Tonys Cherokees thread
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Done quite a lot to the XJ, it developed a whirring and clanking sound in the drivers front end

I swapped each part one by one from a complete Dana 30 front assembly, and it made no difference, so as that only left a bent knuckle or worn diff as the culprit, I changed out the whole assembly, and that cured it

I have not yet been able to determine what the fault was, despite investigations, all parts of the diff are good, except I have not pulled the pinion bearings yet, and its very tricky to measure if the axle housing knuckle is bent

While doing this I installed some new parts that I had on hand, including adjustable UCA, poly UCA bushes, 2" longer front brake lines, new brake pads, overhaul calipers

I noticed the adjustable LCA that have been in for a few years, the inner metal sleeve has hogged out the poly bush, I packed them out with permatex ultra black, as I had a tube handy for the diff cover

I need to think of a way to fix this issue

My XJ now steers like a fkn arrow, all bushes are poly except the track bar bush, it will be next

One of the balljoints on the swapped in axle isnt all that good, so I have to replace it