AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - P02E8 Diesel intake air flow “a” position sensor circuit low
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 119 Times in 84 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
He is mistaking the butterfly valve as a throttle butterfly, it most certainly isn't, it opens and closes so the EGR system can operate it doesn't regulate speed or engine revs in normal operation like a carbie or old school diesels.....................

On CRD's the revs/speed is controlled by the amount of fuel injected into the engine, more fuel more suck, more air is drawn in, this butterfly valve is only there so when the ECU/PCM tells it to close up a bit the air intake is restricted so exhaust can be drawn into the combustion cycle, usuallly a very low revs/idle, when you increase revs the valve will open all the way so it gets full flow of clean air..................

It could be the temp sensor or the sensor in the box on the side which shows the valve position or a sticky gear........ ideally on the bench for a clean up and inspection, while the gearing is replacable I have only seen it at that one Italian site which must be okay as someone on here used it and never whinged that they were duds, the other stuff I would be shopping at a Mopar shop in the US I imagine, though Jeep here does surprise with prices at times.... Temp sensor is 68211210AA and is $316USD, the valve body is 68490035AA at $380-500 USD if in stock, scary stuff so go for a clean first....

I do believe if you removed the flap it would only throw codes that the EGR is faulty.............. if mine ever fails i will certainly being seeing first hand what happens when the flap is removed, the shaft will turn and the sensor will see its moved just some other sensor won't see a change in pressure so will have a hissy imagine.
I believe you are right and the mechanic was just giving me a generic answer to what he believed it was. I am hoping I won't need to replace those parts mentioned as they aren't on the cheap side plus would be painful to source if I need to.

The temp sensor you had on the image should be an easy one for me to check when I get a chance to open the cover up. I will first check that and reseat it (most likely won't do anything) but atleast it is a start.

Now going to see which start cycle I will get to see the CEL coming up.