AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - PRND shifter Lights on all the time
View Single Post
Old 13-09-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 123 Times in 87 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Not a fan of this remote start business with CRD's, you get it idling away to warm up so your feet are warm meanwhile the the EGR is open and filling the manifold with exhaust crud for however long it takes for you to get in and put some pedal to metal, then they do a stop/start commute to work where again more soot injected into engine, no wonder so many diesels have problems .........
Mine gets good runs all the time, no stop/start or idling other than roadworks and even then if its a long wait then I shut down, I get in the wagon, hit the start,put on seatbelt and by then its booted up and running, time to select D and get moving............. QLD not really cold and mine lives in a garage, greatest invention for wet days, certainly too old for the mad dash across the yard in pouring rain nowadays......
Should have mentioned I used remote start before and known about this yikes!

In Perth it doesn’t get too cold but my cars live outside the garage so in winter it’s quite frosty to get in and I have to take a 3 year old to day care on the way to work. So this is my first car with remote start and I made the absolute use out of getting the car warm before going not knowing it is harmful to engine on long run. More importantly I come from petrol cars and my understanding was it’s always nicer to get the engine warmed up for about 5 minutes instead of start and slap to D and run because cold engines and foot down is harsh. But yes I did know modern cars didn’t need warming up but still did it thinking it’s good. To be honest I used remote start once only in the morning for about 5 minutes max before my journey to get the engine warm as it is nicer to drive a warmed up engine than cold engine feel.

In summer the remote start is really good to get the interior cooled more than warming up the engine and it is such a cool factor having the ride start before I get in..it’s like a the party trick among friends with this car lol..but most times it’s done for the cool factor and I don’t run it long just get in and go.

I will remember what you said now and use it less..I do drive city to work start stop too..but when i put my foot down the moment I get a chance I really do..heavy footed driver here..drive like it’s stolen always haha..

You should see my neighbour with his diesel Fortuner - has the thing started for about 10 minutes everyday before he goes..and I think damn he likes to warm up his engine!