AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Loud clunk when change from drive to revers
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024
Established Member

Liked 128 Times in 76 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Exclamation Loud clunk when change from drive to revers

Hey all,

Thought I’d share an issue I had a month or 2 ago before we moved to Townsville.

Was towing our heavy ass MDC camper and when I pulled up for the night I heard a clunking sound coming from the rear end. Now this has been happening on and off for a few months but nothing dramatic. I thought it might have something to do with my after market bash plates as this started about the same time as fitting them. Removed them, nope, still there. But when I pulled up under town it was LOUD! Didn’t help I pulled up next to a wall which enhance the sound.

Got a mate to listen near the wheels and he reckoned it was coming from the passenger wheel, especial when changing from drive to reverse and back, sounded like the CV Spline was flogging out.

I was 700 kms away so nursed her back home.

It took jeep 1 day to diagnose a collapsed wheel bearing. And 2 weeks to replace it as it welded itself to the outer race or something!!!! While doing this they found the transfer case was leaking, so they had it for another 3 days.

The clunking has gone but bugger me I’m not impressed the bearing collapsed. I tow a bit and reverse the camper up a steep driveway, sometimes in LR. Not too good for a 2020 JGC.

Just for your situational awareness or FYSA.

CHEERS.