AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Playing around with the 2.7 software (ECU and TCU)
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024
Back again

Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Mainly just looking to learn really. That said, the more I learn, the more I can see some potential to optimise.

What I really wish I could look into more is the actual program that runs it all. Not so much on the ECU, but for the TCU. I have a mate that loves his Fords. He is able to modify the full structure of the running code for his TCU. I am yet to find anything that allows that for the EGS52 fitted to our cars.

Strange below with the C30 EOI that it advances and retards as the revs go up. I need to look more into diesel tuning. The internet just does what it is best known for, contradicts itself with every new page read.

As I play, I have started putting together SOI and rail pressure mods to fit to my philosophy of what the SOI - EOI should look like. This again is just for learning right now. I mean it isn't new stuff. Sure, every engine is different, but someone out there must know the basics for what is best as a general rule.

I have seen comments like advancing the timing will increase power, but reduce economy. But if I increase power at any given point, I will then need to reduce fuel to maintain the original power, thus improving my economy???

The opposite comment I have read that by retarding timing the power goes down, but economy improves. Well if I am on the fwy, and I retard the timing which then reduces power, I will slow down. This means more throttle, more fuel for the same load????

What does make sense is that if the SOI goes further into the compression stroke, then this takes away power due to increasing cylinder pressures while the piston is still trying to compress the gases (reverse torque). But at the same time, if the EOI goes further down the power stroke, then we take away peak combustion pressures and the power goes down. So ideally we would start and stop injection at TDC, or a tiny bit before as RPM increase (to allow for the combustion time delay). Doing this though would see extreme combustion temperatures and pressures and burn holes in pistons and wipe out bearings. Not to mention requiring rail pressures extremely high and Nox emissions through the roof. No smoke though!!

Since a crank angle of less that TDC +- 10 deg really has minimal effect on torque, it would seem reasonable that at light load/RPM the SOI should be just before TDC, and the EOI could go anywhere up to around 10 deg ATDC. From that point the SOI would need to advance at a rate slightly faster that the EOI moves back as injection duration increases. This would create the average injection timing advance as IQ and RPM increases to allow that little bit more time for combustion to complete.

A knock sensor, or at very least a knock prediction calculator would obviously be very helpful for engine health.

Am I way off the mark with this??

Shoes are for people with jobs...

Last edited by RTB; 01-02-2024 at 11:23 AM.