AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Battery type
Thread: Battery type
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Not a great choice in my experience.

I no longer have my WJ, but started just trying to run my fridge and lights o/n from stock battery. This worked until it didn't. What I didn't know then was that regularly having a large discharge was killing my battery slowly. It had enough amp hours, but wasn't designed for deep discharge on even a semi-regular basis.

I then went to separate deep cycle battery and never looked back.

You are hoping an AGM will give you a better outcome but I expect you will find:

- while an AGM should give you a better outcome than my flooded battery, it will not be that great due to the discharge caused by the fridge overnight
- unless you have made changes to the electrical system the WJ (or at least my CRD WJ ~2003) produced a steady alternator output for a flooded battery. I think the WJ for AGM will be ok absorption, and then too high for float charging. The result will be you over-charge the battery on long drives and reduce battery life.

On the positive side, your use case might be just right. A short-ish trip that just charges the AGM fully and then a draw down overnight that is only say 30% depth-of-discharge. In this case the battery is just fine and you will get a long life from it.