AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Fans, temps
Thread: Fans, temps
View Single Post
Old 19-04-2024
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Fans, temps

Hi all. New to the forum, thanks for the bucket load of info! I’ve searched but haven’t found anything that specifically related to what I’m experiencing so hope someone can help.

My 2013 my14 3.0 crd overland was perfect for years but in the last 12 months has given me a hell of a time. I bought it in 2017 with 50k kms. We’ve troubleshooted a bunch of issues, but now the only thing out of the ordinary is the radiator fans are running a lot harder than they ever were. My coolant temp sits pretty solid mid 90’s. The fans kick up a notch when my oil temp hits 105, at which point my oil temp continues to climb, hitting 120 on a normal freeway run. When I get off the fans are screaming. Even normal city driving will push oil temp up to 110 and I can hear the fans working hard sitting in traffic. From what I can see on here these oil temps look normal so why are my fans working so hard?

For some history, The oil cooler went a while back and my whole cooling system was filled with a sludge. New cooler, thermostat and system flush sorted that. After that multiple hoses gave me grief with corrosion. Constant slow coolant drops in levels. Recently the water pump was done. Also recently my oil life indicator went from about 90% to 0% percent before my eyes which the mechanic couldn’t explain. It’s smelt a bit fumey from the pipes so forced regen has been done, but retrospectively I have never had the dash notify me the car was performing a regen. I’ve also read that any stored fault code would not permit the car to perform a regen, is this true? It’s had so many fault codes in recent history related to 4wd, tpms, parking sensor faults, etc, would this have any bearing?

At the end of my wits. The mechanics next punt is to replace the radiator in case there is still blockages from the initial oil cooler sludge issue, but I feel like there was a period it ran fine after that, also coolant temp is fine. Just seems the oil temp is triggering the fans. Hoping the brains here can help but this out!