AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Idle stutter on the XJ - what's goin on??
View Single Post
Old 22-08-2002
Mopar or no car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Idle stutter on the XJ - what's goin on??

OK.

I'm super happy with the 96 XJ that I've just procured and the vehicle behaves "just like it should" according to sir Gojeep but there's one thing that has stumped me: a rough idle.

The rough idle is constant. It is in time, i.e. every second engine revolution or whatever - can be felt as thumping when you hold the hand near the exhaust. Once you lift off idle it is smooth.

Already checked the following:

1. Cylinder head gasket - presumed good cause no bubbles in water, no smoke from oil filler cap after a long run and no power loss - the vehicle canes, yes sir.
2. Vacuum leak on inlet manifold - gasket was replaced by the stealership to weld the cracked manifold (taken off) and there are no other hoses loose (to my eye anyway).
3. Checked the brake booster - pinching the hose does not fix the problem so the diaphragm in the booster is good.
4. Cat/exhaust obstruction - eliminated cause I've put a hiflow cat and muffler on her 2 days ago (sounds sooooo sweet).
5. Spark plugs and leads, new
6. Dizzy cap + rotor button - cleaned up and replaced.
7. Put some injector clean into the fuel but have only done 100 kays since then.
8. Checked the error codes - no sensor failure (e.g. map sensor)

So there you have it. The only thing I haven't done is removed the injectors and have them cleaned professionally.

What are your thoughts?? Is there something else I should look at?

Kramer

[ 22 August 2002, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Kramer ]