AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Bullbar and Suspension for WJ
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brad

I have the ARB winch bar. I bought it pretty much for the solid recovery points it has.... with protection from animal strike a second priority. The two recovery points are triple thickness loops that are large enough to easily take the 4.75 tonne shackle pins.

The newer series of ARB bar (the one I have) has much better airflow than the original series (like billsta's). Billsta had to have a secondary airscoop added to aid in cooling... wheras mine has this as part of the same unit. There was some concern in the USA over this problem way back when...... but it is fixed now. No cooling problems at all.... and mine's a turbo.

I have the Old Man Emu setup in mine too - H/D springs and NitroCharger shocks. 40mm?? It all depends on whether you have a Laredo or Limited/Overland. If you have the Laredo, you will most probably only get 15-25mm, as it already rides higher than the middle and up-spec models ex factory. I found that the OME springs (heavy dity in my case to put up with the additional weight of the bullbar and my roller drawers in the rear) are pretty stiff when the car is unladen. This causes it to skip a bit on dirt roads when doing a good clip over slight corrugations. With the car fully laden with two or three people and a bit of gear - it comes into its own. I will eventually go with a further 25-35mm budget boost - or spring spacers at the top of the springs to gain a little more height. I don't think I need to now as I've resigned myself to the fact that my Grand is going to be my touring machine - and not my weekend rock-hopper. I have a Nissan for that

You may also consider taller tyres to gain a bit of height. I run 245 Cooper ST's. Do you have 225's or something larger than stock?

Come to the next SJC meeting, and we can go over it all if you like. Billsta, Allan and Chris Covington will also be there with their V8 models. I have the turbo-diesel.
http://www.omaroo.net