AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Stripping weight for a Rockcrawler...
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Stripping weight for a Rockcrawler...

OK guys... as you would already know, I have been working on dropping weight from the FireTruck for a while now. More specifically, sprung weight... better stability, climbs better, less strain on drivetrain, etc.

With WE Rock around the corner I am looking at what's left, and nothing immediately springs to mind. Don't want MAJOR fabrication changes, but will take any gains (losses!) I can get. Here's what I have dropped so far:

* Heavy front bumper replaced with light, low profile comp bar (fabricated my yours truely)
* Heavy rear bumper replaced with light, low profile comp bar (again, fab's by me)
* tail gate removed (this sucker was pretty damn heavy!)
* Doors removed (these were about 11 kg's each... as an aside, I cut all the internals out of the doors before TTC to drop weight)
* Windscreen and surround removed (this was about 24kg's I think)
* steel hood replaced with fiberglass high hood (I think this saved 10+kg's)
* Inside of fenders trimmed out (for high hood above)
* steering box removed... full hydro with cylinder mounted on the front axel
* Seats replaced with light plastic jobbies
* Windscreen washer bottle and charcoal filter removed...

Here's what I have left... remove windscreen wiper motor (what would that be... 1kg??), remove centre consol (another kg??), then ???

Any other suggestions?? Eat less pies?? What the heckola is left?? Did I miss anything??

Will also have dual winches - one on the front and one on the rear - to winch down on the axels... keep the COG down where necessary, and help with steep climbs/descents.

S.

Build thread:
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121388