AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Hints and Tips For Jeep Buyer - Please !
View Single Post
Old 27-02-2006
hellbilly deluxe

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Talking

1. How good is this model jeep for towing ?, i normally tow trandem trailers with race cars quite often, previously i have owned a jackaroo, triton and a hilux 4 cylinders.
A: I towed for years only problem I ever had was the shortened life of the brake shoes. Longer braking distance, I assumed was due to extra weight being towed.

2. What major mechanical problems could i expect with this model jeep ?
A: Hard for tyre places to do wheel alingments( My experience)
Flimsy control arms, If you do any major wheeling.
Overheating problems. Gets leak around rear of motor between gear box (if it doesnt leave a puddle it aint a jeep)
Miscellaneous electrical problems
3. What other major problems are normally common with these model jeeps ?
See Above

4. What are the usual major expense items ?
Gear Box

5. How reliable arew these cars, given i start with a tidy example ?
I love my Xj and considering what i've put it through i think it is reliable

6. Dare i ask about the fuel economy of the 4 litre 6 cylinder ?
Dont ask

7. Any idea of the cost for a good towbar ?
$450.00 - $1500.00 Could only cost you $100.00 depends If you import, buy local or get secondhand

In my opinion I feel the humble Xj is great, Good value for money, practical, reliable.
A great vehicle for a small family to tour in. A bit heavy for daily peak hour traffic. Underatted trail killer. Lots of aftermarket accesories to spend money on. Interchangable with some other jeep models Eg ZJ brakes, control arms, springs. Tj diffs motor etc
its not unheard of for the humble 4.0L 6 cylinder to reach 250,000 kms

In summary a dam good car