AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Test drive impressions...
View Single Post
Old 27-03-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Test drive impressions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilt4mud
Drove the Renegade Unlimited in manual form today. Sure it's a hell of leap in terms of refinement over my TJ. But I wasn't so impressed with the engine's performance though. It doesn't feel it has as much torque as the old inline 6. Felt quite sluggish actually. Hmmm must try the CRD now.
...Finally... a JK Sport has arrived in Tamworth and today ..after a little bit of a mexican stand off ..with the dealer... I was allowed a very brief test drive. The vehicle was in Red Rock colouring and looked quite nice.. although I'd prefer the khaki plastic trim and seats over the grey. Noticeably more quiet than the TJ but I certainly noticed the additional weight (300kg)..or at least the motor did. What I gathered would be 4.1 ratios helped it a lot but I expected a little more 'get up and go' ..even after all the reports I've read. I would hope the manual might be a better bet but given the diesel (on paper at least) ..is supplying 26% more torque than the V6, I'm very keen to try it. If it's as refined as most of the more modern diesels are...then it should be a 'weapon'. The ride of the JKwas good and up to 100kmh..(with soft top)..I thought was pretty quiet. The dash doesn't look as finished or integrated as the TJ...but it's growing on me and I don't mind it now. It's a shame the two door doesn't have a split rear seat but I don't think they had enough room to work with as compared to the four door. If I hadn't owned a manual TJ with 3.73 ratios ... I'd have gone for the petrol JK not knowing the difference... but the temptation to test the diesel is way too strong now... I'll be waiting a while. ...Now... a diesel Rubicon... that would be nice !