AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - TOYOTAS ARE GOOD
View Single Post
Old 15-05-2007
SwampDigger

Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Gosh some people out there get all worked up and defensive dont they?
but looking around a couple of forums it seems all the same no matter what badge you have on the grill.
After lurking around this thread for a few weeks, I've gotta put a few comments in. Then I'll go away again.........
I like modded Jeeps. And yota's. And patrols (ok, Pootrols if you insist). And Zooks. Whatever brand, stock ones belong on the road (ok, dirt roads then). But whatever the case, if you are an enthusiast, get out and do it, and be happy others are too in whatever they choose to drive.
I had a good, fun, reasonably modded and very capable XJ. Reliability, constant servicing and shite fuel consumption, etc were other matters altogether.
Seeing as I hang around a Melb based Jeep club, wheel with them on a regular basis and hang around a well known jip shop I see and know modded Jeeps are great offroad (but not all drivers are....) but damn they need regular maintenence. My opinion only (ok flame me if you will) but some aspects are underengineered and not up to it. But as has already been said, you buy em knowin this and deal with it, because of the brand/image/loyalty etc, which is fine. Of maybe not in Tommo's case apparently.
Now I drive a patrol...........and generally and not afraid to use it.
For day trips, the XJ was actually a little better on many cases, but for long term touring (towing a camper trailer), space, fuel range/economy, RELIABILITY and all round unbreakableness (is that a word?) the Patrol craps all over Jeeps. Sorry, but its the truth. (BTW its the old school dumb as a box of hammers 4.2 diesel. ). Maybe slow (how fast do I need to go?) maybe not smart and as fuel efficient as a new grand, but also the dash doesnt lite up like a christmas tree or go into limp mode when it gets near dust or water. Axles/diffs/gearboxes etc dont break. Bits dont wear out like a jeep, and things dont fall apart/off.

As I said, I like Jeeps, plan to get another one shortly for playing around and day trips.

But no matter what the brand, as I suggested in to beginning, get over yourself if you are soooo shortsighted and stuck on brand loyalty, and let everyone else enjoy what they choose to drive.

Oh..........one more thing, in terms of the first post on this thread. My XJ had the original radio in it when I brought it. It didn't work either..........