AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Blown up my CRD
Thread: Blown up my CRD
View Single Post
Old 22-01-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Notwithstanding previous tongue in cheek comment, good on you for having a crack at CJ to get it fixed. But my own thoughts, you are probably pushing it uphill....
1. you stated it was outside of warranty period/milage. As i see it, the 100,000 warranty is the warranty, not 100,000 +/- 20,000.
2 the chip is a modification, which will increase power and hence stress on the motor. CJ have a reasonable case not to warranty on this basis. You installed the chip (ie modification), you wear the risks.
3. maybe as a side point, but nevertheless you have stated you were giving it grief at the time. 140+kmh overtaking with a trailer on the back (apart from the fact that it seems a bit foolish to me, but who am i to talk?) is no doubt stressing the engine.
4. the failure of the ecu/injector would appear to be the start of it, maybe the cause of it. Was it caused by the injector, or the chip?

Good luck, but maybe you should cut your losses, either go elsewhere (as suggested) for a rebuilt motor, or sell the car without engine.

Let us know how you go, interested to see outcome like many others on here.
I didn't have a trailer on the back Richo... I was attempting to overtake a road train on a dead straight flat road 200km's east of St George in QLD. When I was half way on long side I noticed there were two road trains not one, travailing nose to tail. As I was comited and there was no on coming traffic so I kept the boot in. BTW 3km or 4km long straights out there are very common.The speed limit is 110km's. I would rather speed than stay on the wrong side of the road for ever whilst overtaking a 3 x trailer road train. I simply left it in drive and floored the throttle before all hell broke lose.

The CRD is capable of 210 km/hr. The transmission will not let you over rev the engine, rev limiter cuts in at 4400 rpm.
You can not change down even holding the gear leaver back until the engine speed has dropped back to a programmed RPM, then only will they drop back a gear.
If anyone else here has a CRD they can confirm what I am saying.
jenko

or watch this vid to see how they perform, some guy in Germany I think

Last edited by jenkomagic; 22-01-2009 at 02:23 PM.