AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Flinders & Gammon Ranges, Lake Eyre and Surrounds
View Single Post
Old 27-01-2009
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
Want to see boring? Try the Stuart Hwy stretch between Tennant Creek and Katherine. This is B-O-R-I-N-G. The horizon doesn't change for kms and you mind starts to play tricks on you... there could be a large cow in the middle of the road but you wont see it because your mind has freeze-framed an empty road going into the horizon because .... it just does not change. Maybe this should be the topic of a new thread?

Yep, agreed, it is too hot this time of the year to safely go inland on your own. Next time, on the SA side, try the Gammon Ranges, Arkaroola, and the track into the West Simpson and north to Alice. Lots of fun...
I disagree, that stretch of the hwy was far more interesting, especially at this time of the year, all the creeks were flowing, everything was green, it was magic... w had a swim nearly every 100k's in a nice creek, it was beautiful.. in the dry it is not as good but still not nearly as boring as the stretch of road from the SA border to Port Augusta... at least you can find the odd pig, dingo, snake or wild life, SA was just barron, didnt see a single bit of wildlife in the whole stretch of SA to PA. just the occasional dried up lake towards the end..

my mate told me to take the oonadatta track, which he said was one of the best drives he has done, but i was running out of time and was to unprepared for unfamiliar roads... im sure it would be better heading off the track..and a different time of year, but the road from SA border to Port augusta on the tar at this time of the year for me was boring as bat shit