AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - ESP Disable - Take two
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
At the risk of abuse, if considering ESP mod, better read NCOP (National Code of Practice) Version 2, Section 11: 2.6 at:

http://www.pharosalex.com.au/pages/33acs4.html

basically the new version of NCOP will ban almost any modification to a vehicle equipped by the manufacturer with ESP, ESC, etc; and will disallow disconnection of ESP, ESC, etc.

This is the direction that regulation is taking. Many may disagree (including me) but insurance companies will embrace this.

Let me be clear - I don't like the NCOP position on ESP anymore than anyone else. I have a lift which would be an illegal mod under NCOP Version 2 (because I have ESP) but which I could probably get away with under NCOP Version 1. Its the adding of that section (2.6) of "No mods if you have ESP" that is going to cause problems for people. NCOP Version 2 is still open for public comment and I would hope that the Ausjeep community would jump on the chance to try to influence a re-wording of that section.
While it would have been great to comment on this, the comment period ended on the 30th of April. interesting though is the wording. I know it is a little off topic but

"Therefore unless specifically permitted by the vehicle manufacturer, vehicles equipped with ESC as original equipment, cannot be modified under the Modification Codes contained in this Section of the NCOP as the current codes do not posses sufficient scope to account for all the parameters noted above. "

So am I correct to take it that if there is a MOPAR lift for the Jeep then that would be manufacturer endorsement of a lift of that height being suitable?

Also I like the increase in tyre size to 50 mm for 4wds and not for soft roaders. Bring on the 34's.