AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Smart Alternators
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesio View Post
Mightymouse is right, it's a traditional type of alternator with the voltage regulation done by the TIPM. The TIPM has some sort of feedback from the battery, presumably temperature. I have potentiometers on my dash and voltage seems to be highest on a hot day, but there is not really any logical trend that I've noticed to be honest. Voltage seems to bounce between 14.5 and 15.3 (2009 CRD) most of the time at the higher end (that's what kills batteries).

The system is perfectly suitable for a VSR dual bat system if that's what you're getting at.
No battery temp sensor on CDR. There is one inside the TIPM (I call it ECU). But Chrysler software is dodgy and commands the alternator (via LIN bus) to go over 15.0V on hot days (noted 15.8V on mine). That's exactly what shortens the life of D31A to ridicules max 3 years. When I unplugged it from the ECU, it went to default 14.3 that's exactly midpoint of D31A charging range 13.6 to 15.0.