AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - JK Newbie - looking for guidance
View Single Post
Old 31-10-2017
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Crescent Head isn't that soft so your chances of bogging is fairly slim. The beauty about a 2 door is that it is pretty light and perfect for sand.

Try and stay above the high tide mark though when driving and stay away from the water. If you do get stuck then you could be in a world of hurt with the water lapping at your wheels. It looks cool driving with water splashing over the vehicle but salt water is a killer.

Above the high tide mark keep in the tracks of others as the sand is already compressed.

Remember that your engine will be working hard and will chew through fuel so it's best to have a pretty full tank before getting on the sand.

If you are going to stay in 4WD High, turn off traction control as it saps power when you need it the most if your wheels start spinning in softer sand.

The standard tyres you have a actually very good on sand so don't bother changing them if you don't have to. Just lower them to 16psi and you will be right.

Must haves:
Recovery tracks - These will get you out of 99% of situations. Even the cheap $90 ebay ones work so invest in a pair.

Shovel - They are cheap and saves a lot of back aches.

Snatch Strap and Shackles - There is nothing worse than helping to recover a bogged vehicle when they don't have any of their own gear.

A good compressor - The 4WD Super Centre Thumper does a good job for $120.

Nice to have:
Air jack - These aren't popular as they used to be but they will lift a vehicle out of the sand quicker than digging. They are a good back up if the recovery tracks don't work. Use it to lift the Jeep so you can fill in the holes and then lower it back down.

Apart from that, have fun, I run mine on the sand 90% of it's off road time and absolutely love it.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders

Last edited by Nanook; 31-10-2017 at 07:51 AM.