AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Build Thread: Roof Rack For a JK Wrangler
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

sounds good. but useless w/o pics! alloy would be nice. definitely be a lot harder to do as i then couldnt weld it myself. plus would probably cost way more for the tube to be bent, but would love to see what you did.

maybe in your own thread though so it doesnt annoy the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommoed View Post
Hi guys
I have also custom made a roof rack for my jku.
I originally made a style which is similar to this one, but I found the brackets under the hardtop made it squeak- a lot. Have you noticed this at all? A quick fix is grease, works wonders.

I have changed it all now. I have built a frame that sits on the inside of the hardtop and bolts to the rear tub from the rear to the front the result was pretty good but it took some doing to get the countours right. Then the rack sits over the top, bolting through the hard top to the frame. It also has a awning mount and a roof basket too. The frame on the inside doubles as a place to mount things too like my shovel and fire extinguisher.

Made it from aircraft grade alloy hollow tubing and alloy flat bar for the rack, the frame is made from square alloy stock approx 20x20.

Rubber bushing between the top and contacting metal items stops the squeaks and leaks. I used 316 stainless steel 8mm Allen cap head bolts, ad spring,flat washers and nuts to secure.

The result is pretty strong, it holds my weight easily as I walk around up top.

Would like to add a ladder at some point but not high on the list now.

Cheers