AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Winch help
Thread: Winch help
View Single Post
Old 19-08-2020
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Well i cant say Ive ever owned an expensive branded one (Dad has and he has never used it), but I have had “cheaper” on my vehicles and haven’t missed a beat. With exception of a Supercheap branded one on my old kJ which stopped after two years.... Last one I had on my JK was a runva 9000lbs evo something something.... bloody quick.. lasted 8 years before it’s weight limit was maxed trying to skull pull a land cruiser out of mud up a hill..... in saying that other than the land cruiser (Which double line pulled worked a treat), it never missed a beat and worked every time (Five or six times a year, usually pulling other people out). Ive only just upgraded it to a dominator 12000lbs extreme winch, only because Ive seen them work in person (on landcruisers and patrols) and have worked well so far and I wanted 12000lbs and not 9. Has a 2year warranty also.. so I figure the 500 odd I paid for it may been worth it...

I was tempted to go back to Runva getting a 11000lbs winch, great product, have plenty of after sales parts and servicing, mostly readily available.....but they are also on the heavier side... and I figure the price wasn’t that big a deal between the two brands.. But is a brand Ive worked with and trust

(Just remember for every row of wraps around the drum of the winch you loose 10% pulling power) so short winches you may have already lost between 20-30% power just because of the amount of rope spooled on the drum...

I also prefer rope to cable, and I also prefer to use a rope ring rather than a pulley.... Ive also been thing of getting an x lock for the winch,.,,, Dunno... need to do more research..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk