AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WK2 UHF Radio Install
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhillman View Post
Very interested to know what this possible 'problem with CAN' could be. The cigarette lighter in question is an accessory socket, i.e. it could have anything plugged into it, drawing between 0 and whatever the circuit is rated at. I'm not sure I understand how wiring a radio permanently in parallel, can be any different from just pluging it directly into the socket, except that it draws a small amount of current even though the power is off. To my knowledge, there is no CAN logic continually testing the socket. What could it test for? There may, or may not, be something permanently connected.

The lights issue is real, but how does this affect lighter sockets?
I am with you Marc, and I asked that specific question - although only relating to the switched outlet.
I was with the tech and the dealer autoelec working on our vehicle at the time - both were adamant that the Canbus is flashed to change the expected load on that specific line when they install the reversing camera (which is wired differently to US models it seems). I posed the scenario that anything could be left plugged in to that outlet and the vehicle operated. Both wouldn't move from their position that the system bus can be influenced and it was safer to keep away.
I guess their position only reflects their training and experience on the vehicle (which may or may not be limited).
My vehicle was back there for a day and a half trying to fix 1 taillight, plus the tailgate interior lights out at delivery. They almost stripped the lining trying to trace wires as their system showed faults everywhere when they ran it via their laptop connected to Detroit - and the brake controller I had installed was well under suspicion to the extent I came to the workshop and stripped it out to eliminate.
Eventually the fault was found to a bad connection in the new loom installed in the lift gate when they had fitted the reversing camera. (the brake controller and my wiring was completely exonerated but it wasn't a pleasant experience believe me).
Because the trailer plug had been installed at the same the system had found another way to back feed power to the camera from the reversing lights. The interior light and the tail light were affected by the back feed and just stopped working. In the old days it would have been a typical earth problem fault (probably still was). They fixed the bad connection - cleared all the faults logged in the bus and yay - all sorted. 3 happy people finally.

Having seen first hand the issues created by this and how difficult it was to diagnose even though they were able to interrogate and test all systems via the laptop I am now fully converted to keeping completely away from the Jeep system.

I made the statement above about the training and experience of techs available to work on these vehicles if there are issues, and that point alone was the major factor to convince me not to take any risks if at all possible. (No criticism of the guys that worked on ours - they did everything they could and eventually fixed it)

Certainly others have connected in with no issues - so questions can be asked again......
Apologies for being long winded but maybe you can get a sense for where I am coming from and where I'm NOT going.

Last edited by JnK; 23-03-2012 at 06:53 AM.