AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WK2 UHF Radio Install
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmm - not convinced by their explanation. The outlet in question is the only item on the circuit, and is protected by a fuse. Having the canbus monitor the circuit seems to add no value. What can it test for? The current can be anything between 0 and the fuse rating. If it goes above the fuse rating, the fuse will blow. It would be nice if the canbus told you a fuse had blown. Not sure why you'd flash the circuit current limit, as that is set by the fuse.

Anyway, there are many things that make no sense to me, and this is just another one of them.

In practice, it seems that putting a UHF radio in parallel with the center console outlet doesn't cause a problem.

I would be interested to know how you connected directly to the battery. I looked at this option, and it didn't seem straightforward. I have another radio I'm looking at installing, and it draws 20A. I can't steal off an accessory connector for that. Is a photo possible?