AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Upgrading D35 axles (with ABS)
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Upgrading D35 axles (with ABS)

I still have a stock Dana 35 diff in my XJ so I've been looking at different options for upgrading to something stronger. From what I understand the Chrysler 8.25 and Dana 44 diffs are both stronger but no good for me because they don't have ABS.

I was very interested in these alloy axles from the Team Cherokee website:

ALLOY USA Rear Axle Shaft Cherokee 1984-2001 W/ Dana 35 27-Spline W/O ABS
This ALLOY USA Rear Axle Shaft will fit all Jeep Cherokee XJ’s from 1984-2001 with the stock Dana 35 27-Spline W/OUT ABS. High tensile strength 4140 Chromoly is heat-treated twice and induction hardened to produce these heavy-duty axles that are up to 35% stronger than stock 1040 axles. Alloy USA™ uses the latest cold spline rolling technology, to produce splines that are stronger than traditional cut splines. Our shafts are covered by an exclusive 10- year warranty! Rear axle shaft kits include everything you need for your installation: both passenger and drive side shafts, seals, bearings and wheel studs. - US$129.95

Sounds like a good price for an upgrade to stronger axles (much cheaper than installing a brand new diff) but unfortunately ABS is still a problem. I asked Team Cherokee about it and they said "that one will not work and I cannot find one that will" so it seems the options for upgrading the rear diffs or axles on an XJ with ABS are very limited.

Does anyone know what the difference is between an axle on an XJ with ABS and an XJ without ABS, or even better, know where I can get the stronger alloy axles to suit an ABS model?

Would it be less hassle to get rid of the ABS?