AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Mods VSB 14
Thread: XJ Mods VSB 14
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

You certainly need a lot of tools with these cars AWG.

Well, i had mixed success with the Tcase last night and this morning.
It was relatively easy changing out all the bearings. One of the large blind needle bearings gave me a bit of grief, but i pulled it by tacking a nut to it and pulling it with a slide hammer. The rest were just knock out and knock in. One shaft has a bunch of loose needles that when changed out, you just use some petroleum jelly to hold in place.

My problems started when i went to replace the seals. My box only had 4 seals in it, while the image on the web showed about 8. Only one was correct, so my bloody kit is next to useless. Now, i have had the kit for about a year.. and i had it opened before. So not sure if some fell out, spiders ate them or what.. but they are gone. My Tcase is not leaking and i could of gone ahead without replacing them, but i have decided to do the righty and get them replaced.

The next problem is the chain. I ordered this about a year ago too and its been sitting in its box. Its a Cloyes (Made in USA on the box). It is the correct part HV028.
There is one difference. Some of the Aussie and Euro NP242J chains were a rocker joint style, while the American ones were roll pin. No probs, just a different style with slightly different characteristics.
However, my Cloyes one on the pic below seems to have loose plates and gaps in some areas, and not in others, and seems low quality. The original Borg Warner/Morse chain on the left is tight everywhere and seems great quality.
I cant use the Borg chain though, as at 325,000 k's i could hear the stretched chain... and it should be replaced.

Now i am not sure what to do?? Use the new Cloyes chain.. or just get an OEM spec Borg Warner.
Not sure what is going on with that chain, but i am not certain i want that in my Jeep. I will send a pic to the manufacturer and supplier.

Cheers,