AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 96000 Maintenance
View Single Post
Old 29-03-2023
Rock Munki

Liked 1,323 Times in 761 Posts

As a reference point....my car was bought 2nd hand....tranny hadnt been serviced for 150k....I got it serviced as a holiday towing a van was planned....tranny shop told me...'It will play up/fail because it wasnt serviced before now'....sure enough 1,500klm later it failed....replacement quotes are around 8k....if I didnt get it serviced it would failed at some stage...epically....roadside stuck job with van hooked on...when ???.....unknown....I had it serviced and it died...BUT....I could do a 'quick fix' and its still going n towing 7,000klm later....is it ok ???.....NOPE.....BUT....until I have 8k 'spare' its a going concern and is 'useable' if driven accordingly.....you can bet your bottom dollar that when its replaced I will be doing 40k services....is that too much/short an interval ????....YEP.....but I aint forking out another 8k for the sake of a couple hundred dollar service.....
IF you drop the tranny n diff oils in yours the biuld up inside the casings will be 'slightly' cleaned off by the detergents in the new oil...this 'tarnish'/burnt oil/solidified coating will then become 'solid particles' in the oil that is travelling through EVERYTHING....bearings, moving parts, minimal clearance areas, breathers, seals...end result is a failure somewhere inside the box or diff......servicing is a cheap way to get the best/longest out of any mechanical device.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday