AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - JK - Easy Custom Door & Hood Hinge Modification
View Single Post
Old 23-12-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 32 Times in 9 Posts
Default JK - Easy Custom Door & Hood Hinge Modification

Hi ALL!

It's me again...after checking out other JK's on other forums, I decided to do the relatively cheap modification of colouring the hinges of my 2014 Unlimited JK.

I used the Plasti-dip spray cans to colour the hinges. What lead me to use this was its removability, so if I didn't like it I could peel it off if necessary. All in all, I feel it gives it a great and unique look.

Details:
  • Cost: $AUD $48.75
  • Difficulty: Easy

Equipment:
Instructions:
  1. Clean the surface of the hinge
  2. Cut and apply the painters tape around the hinge. Note that I didn't place the tape soo close to the edge of the hinge as you will be able to take a sharp utensil and trace along the edge so that it will peel off and remove relatively easily and have that professional sharp edge look.
  3. Cover the surrounding areas using spare newspaper or scrap paper, obviously holding it in place using some tape. It is important you cover up real good to anticipate the overspray from the Plasti-dip.
  4. Spray one coat on the hinge. Lightly dust the surface from all angles. Tips: We're doing 4 coats, so there is no need to go all out. There should be absolutely no dripping when you are done with one coat. Remember we are trying to achieve the best 'bond' with the hinge.
  5. Apply the Plasti-dip at least every 15 minute intervals.
  6. Once done and dry, carefully remove the newspaper first.
  7. Then using your sharp utensil, carefully trace along the edge of the hinge.
  8. Then carefully remove the painters tape.
  9. Finallly, peel off the edges of the Plasti-dip.
  10. Repeat for all hinges, I also did my hood!