AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WG CRD dumps oil why
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2011
No Winching

Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Thanks guys, got it towed back home (Gympie). Thought about the Rainbow guy, have know his existence for years but thought he was more old school Jeep.

Haven't looked yet, too pissed off. Ready to sell already.

I suspect the heat exchanger oil cooler too, RACQ guy immediately said head gasket but it happened too fast I think. The dipstick is hardly reading so there is a lot of oil displaced in the space of say 10 minutes light driving and there is no trace of coolant on the dipstick or the exhaust.

Thing is this is the second time the oil cooler has lunched itself as the previous owner gave me the receipt for his repair of it as the repair is still under warranty. Can't find the receipt yet but not sure if it will help me as the repair was done on Gold Coast and can't remember if at Jeep or elsewehere. Even if it was done at Jeep the nearest dealer for me is Gricks on Sunshine Coast an hour away and I've not heard good reports about them, they can't even read the 2.7 properly to diagnose.

The last time this was done they pressure tested the original cooler and found it leaking internally (owner showed me the cooler with writing from tests over it) . Not sure if this one will be the same or an oring has let go or displaced. What is the common failure point of these things.

If it is the cooler and seems highly likely, given it's happened twice now I'm seriously thinking of seeing if it can be removed and replumbed to a good old fashioned external oil cooler. Anyone heard of this being done. I'm thinking a loop circuit for the coolant so it doesn't stop at dead end and piping to and from a front mount oil cooler.