AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Diff locks?
Thread: Diff locks?
View Single Post
Old 19-01-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

Not sure I like the idea of the elocker the way it unlocks and relocks as you go from forward to reverse. I think if any locker has the shims on the outside then you prety much need a spreader. If the shims are under the carrier bearings then dont need a spreader. I have had ARBs for 10 years and the main thing wrong with them are the people installing them. They need to be installed with a spreader to get the correct preload on the carrier bearings.

I have had trouble with my front ARB because it was installed initially by the shop with the bearing cap upside down and the diff had been bashed in so hard without the use of a spreader there was marks in the bearing cup. I dont know of many shops that use a spreader and there lies the problem with ARBs. I do my own installs now and havent had a problem but I use a spreader and install with a measured 15 thou preload as per the workshop manual. I wish the ARBs had the shims under the carrier bearings where they belong but a lot of the new lockers have them on the outside now making them a bitch to install unless you have one large shim.

If the ARB has insufficient preload it will leak air.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
awg

Last edited by Jimmyb; 20-01-2017 at 07:45 PM.