AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Pinchweld?(Adhesive actually)
View Single Post
Old 14-11-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
Unless you can drill at a point where these two layers are in direct contact, I suspect that you will end up with a flawed fix. Either an air gap or adhesive in between will negatively impact the riveting effect.

You need to plate the underside of the original mounting points as suggested in this thread and previous on the topic. I'm sure that you can do it yourself given you had previously (mostly) removed the headlining.

Cheers, Steve
Hi,

I understand, and I have thought about it thoroughly. Riveting through those two plates would almost be impossible, unlike the other FB guy who had done it, however he bashed the outer layer compressing those two layers closer together first(which I'm not willing to do).

I'm actually going to drill into the pinchweld(adhesive area), which is NOT those layers you can see from the photos.

I'm like everyone else, I dont want any aesthetic damage or not willing to do something that is not reversible.

Lastly, adding additional inner plate layer is not going to make it structurally stronger as that roof sheet metal has two way movement with load and corrugation. You really need a welded frame to overcome all that. All you would do is widen the tear point, and possible deform the roof shape. Having a plate on the inner + outer side would look ugly, but make better sense.