AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Wh Grand Cherokee Common Faults And Issues
View Single Post
Old 17-10-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2006 Grand Cherokee (Build 1/10/05) 5.7 Hemi

I bought my GC new in 09/06. 138,000km and it does a lot of km's in the country and off road. It has the Navus GPS system and nudge bar as factory extras.

From delivery 'Service 4WD Light' kept coming on and off - after 6 visits to the dealership it was discovered the 4wd Lo Actuator was faulty - replaced under warranty and no problems from then on.

2 years - battery dead. Dealer Replaced Battery - 2 years later dead again. 3rd battery now no problems so far - I have been told that this is common for GC's.

3 years - at 70,000km replaced front rotors and pads - rotors were warping

4 years - Starter motor dead and replaced.

Navus system will not calibrate - quoted $1200 to replace - just don't use now.

5 years - EGR valve fault - replaced.

6 years - Bindings on handbrake linings came loose, linings fell into hub taking out all the sensors on the right rear hub and damaging hub - replaced everything. When checked the other side linings just fell out in my hand. Driving along bang, ping, BANG - linings getting caught, handbrake cable snaps, hub is taken out. I would recommend all GC owners check these at every service. I was a long way from home when this occurred.

Burst heater hose - quoted $130 a hose x 2 from dealer i.e. $260- $88 with postage from USA - However a complete pain to change them - have a look where they are located.

Recent - replaced front rotors again and upgraded to DBA 4x4 heavy duty slotted and EBC heavy duty pads. Rebuilt the front calipers and replaced ceramic pistons with steel - one set of pistons was bulging.

Replaced bonnet, tailgate and tailgate glass struts - all had stopped working

C1417 fault - Front diff Actuator Axle Lock - intermittant not communicating. Replaced and electrical harness (worn). - 52114003AF + 52114327AC

Front diff mounts will need replacing soon. This is the "clunk" when moving from P to R to N to D (also when cruise control on and you touch breaks slightly) - 52114354AA + 52089516AB x 2

Service 4wd System light coming on and engine rpm flaring (and then stalls sometimes) - you need to slightly overfill with transmission fluid after service and changing filters I add about 600ml more see TSB 21-019-06

Given up on the Champion copper plugs and gone to Champion double platinum - great!

This vehicle is serviced correctly to the intervals recommended but is driven hard and as stated off road sometimes.

I have a C121C code showing - does anyone know how to fix this?
Also the drivers seat has memory setting problems sometimes. No big one but a pain to reset.

Also - I got rid of the Wranglers at the very first change and went with Duelers AT - they were nice for the highway but off road a pain in the bottom.

Last edited by Gold Coast Jeeper; 20-10-2013 at 01:56 AM.