AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Tips for a sand driving noob
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 107 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Drop your pressures to around 16 psi. Try to drive in the tracks of others as the sand will be compressed.

Don't go below the high tide mark. If you do get stuck on the change of tide, you could be in a lot of trouble.

Avoid using your brakes to stop unless you have to. It's better to let the vehicle roll to a stop. This is so you don't dig in.

Carry a shovel and recovery tracks. Even the cheap $100 ones off ebay work.

Carry D shackles and a snatch strap. There is nothing worse than helping someone who is bogged that doesn't even have the basics to help themselves.

And if someone does help you, thank them. Please don't be the arsehole that believes they are entitled to have someone pull them out. There are plenty like that out there and they are reason why a lot of people out there don't bother helping anymore.

Apart from that, have fun. There is nothing better than sand driving on a beautiful day.
Thanks Nanook, can't believe anyone wouldn't be thankful for being pulled out of the sand! Anyway, good suggestion, I will ask to borrow the snatch strap and shackle of the same mate I am going to ask about maxtrax - we leave tomorrow so i have left buying all of these things a little late.

Been waiting to try the sand for a while as a bit of practice before I do fraser next year and it would of course be preferable to go with another vehicle but I'm just going to give it a crack. The beaches up near point plomer are meant to be great for fishing, so I'm going to try and work that in too.

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Offroad Animal Front Recovery Points and Nudge Bar