AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Hood Strut Mod
Thread: Hood Strut Mod
View Single Post
Old 21-01-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Hood Strut Mod

Hi Guys,

I got this idea from the american Jeep Liberty forums, where they used a Dodge Nitro Strut kit. I thought I could do this a lot cheaper than that. I can happily say that this mod cost only $37.50! The cheapest & easiest Mod I've done to date...

First of all, I went to my local wrecker (in my case, Pick 'n' Payless in Blacktown) and searched some of the cars hood strut systems. I found that a Holden Commodore had removable strut mounts, so thats what I went with. When I went to pay for them, the dude said 'don't worry about it'

The first set were from a VS Commodore, and the 2nd set (only one pictured)is from a VT Commodore.

I then ordered some new gas struts from here;
http://stores.ebay.com.au/gas-strut-guys
Brand New pair of struts for $29, + $8.50 delivery. Arrived in 3 days.

The top mounts fit strait into holes already in the KK hood hinge. Just had to find some spare nuts & washers in the shed to attach them

The Bottom ones could have just fit into holes already there too, but I decided to drill new holes about 40mm further up the guard, to give the hood a greater opening. Then Bolted them on.

Then I attached the struts.

This is before & after shots. You can see the extra space because of the bigger opening, plus theres no hood support getting in the way.

BEFORE

AFTER

Ben.T

Last edited by btalyor218; 25-01-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Updated Photo Links